How to change mouse dpi and Adjust your PC?
A computer is built with a combination of various devices that are bind together to perform specific tasks. Among all devices, the mouse is one of the most important devices and today we are going to talk about the DPI or sensitivity of the mouse and How to change mouse dpi.
DPI measures the performance of a mouse. When your mouse runs on a higher DPI, your mouse produces a large number of pixels on an inch movement. DPI also stands for the sensitivity of the mouse. We all know that a mouse is a pointing device and useful while browsing, designing applications, or playing video games.
The work that needs precision and accuracy like drawing needs lower DPI and for faster movement of the mouse-like playing games or other apps higher DPI are best. Today we will discuss How to change mouse dpi?
What is DPI stand for?
When you talk about the DPI. First, you need to know what DPI means. DPI means Dots Per Inch. A mouse DPI calculates the sensitivity of a mouse. You can easily change the cursor speed by changing the DPI in the mouse settings or switching the built-in buttons (mouse with built-in DPI switch).
Generally, DPI means the speed of the pointer of your mouse which means higher DPI will make your cursor move faster, and lower DPI will make your cursor move lower. A higher DPI makes your cursor faster on the screen, detects the small movements in your mouse, and responds accurately. A higher DPI is better for a mouse to perform a regular task but A higher DPI is not good for all tasks. The tasks needed precision and accurate output, lower DPI will help in that case. So this is very important to change or adjust your mouse DPI or sensitivity for different types of work.
Normally, you can change the DPI or cursor sensitivity of your mouse by the mouse settings in your computer. If you have a mouse that comes with built-in DPI buttons like the ELECOM Wireless Finger-operated Large size Trackball Mouse, you can change the DPI with buttons.
How to Change Mouse DPI
There are various ways to see your DPI mouse and make changes to that later. a number of the methods are listed below. Please check the following methods to change the DPI of your mouse.
Method 1 – How to change mouse DPI in the mouse setting
This method is the very common and simple method that applies to most people to change the DPI or sensitivity of their mouse. This is easy and all people apply this process to change the DPI.
By following this process you can easily change your DPI
1. Click on the Windows icon in the bottom-left of your screen or press the Windows buttons from your keyboard to open up the Start menu, then select “Settings.” You can also use the keyboard shortcut pressing Windows + I
2. Click on the title “Devices”
3. Click on the “Mouse Icons”
4. Click on the “Additional mouse options” that you will find at the bottom of the page or in the right-side panel.
5. Go to the “Pointer Options” tab using the header menu of the Mouse Properties window.
6. Now you will find a slider from that you can adjust your DPI. Moving the slider head to the left will make your mouse slower while moving it to the right will increase its speed.
7. You will see a “Enhance pointer precision” setting, we recommended turning it off as it’s capable of messing up your DPI.
8. Click the OK button. You will experience the change of the cursor speed.
Method 2 – Adjust sensitivity in the video game
You can also change or adjust your mouse DPI or sensitivity in-game settings. This will allow you to set a normal DPI to perform day-to-day tasks and set up different DPI settings for different games.
This is hard to find the same settings for every game but you can follow this process to adjust in-game DPI settings.
- Open the game that you want to change or adjust the DPI or sensitivity settings.
- Find the one that says either “Options” or “Settings” usually available from the title screen.
- Then you should be able to find a menu that says “Controls.” If you can’t find the control menu then go for “Sensitivity” options to find the settings.
- Find the mouse sensitivity slider and adjust it until you feel comfortable with the speed.
Method 3 – Use the Built-in DPI buttons on your mouse
You can find a lot of mice that come with built-in DPI buttons especially gaming mouse have a button dedicated to changing your DPI on the fly. The best part is you can change your DPI on every application you are using. If your mouse has a customization option then you can also change from them.
Normally, The DPI button is located below the scrolling wheel. The DPI buttons are small compared to the other buttons. Sometimes, you will see the DPI written on the button. By pressing the DPI buttons you can increase the cursor speed or lower the cursor speed as well. You can preset the DPI setting as per your preference.
How to check your mouse DPI
This is important to know the DPI or sensitivity that you are using currently. Unfortunately, the operating system doesn’t come with options that show the DPI you are using. This is an important issue, Peop would love to know the DPI or sensitivity they currently using.
Don’t worry about the operating system, there are many other ways to check what DPI you’re rolling with. Please follow the instruction below to check the DPI.
Check Manufacturer’s Specifications –
This process will follow by the branded mouse only. You will find the products description only for the major brands. They put the product images and specifications on the websites for grabbing the customer’s interest.
This process is similar for every mouse, however, some manufacturers don’t have a website or technical information about their products.
- Go to the manufacturer websites which brand mouse you brought
- Use the inbuilt search engine to find the right product.
- Find the technical specifications and check the DPI count written on the website.
If you can’t find your mouse on the manufacturer’s website, we suggest getting in touch with customer support. Many brands offer support through e-mail or the phone.
Use Microsoft Paint
Check the DPI using Microsoft Paint, you might think it is silly but believe us it will work. Microsoft Paint has the ability to see the pixel your cursor is at, you’re able to do a little experiment to find a somewhat accurate measurement of your DPI.
- Open the Microsoft Paint application using the search option in the start menu.
- Set the Zoom 100%
- Select the brush tool and place your cursor to the far left of the screen. You will see 0 in the bottom-left, the first number.
- Hold the left mouse button and move your mouse around 2-3 inches. Without moving your mouse, look at the first number in the bottom-left and note it down.
- Repeat this process ⅔ times, then find the average of each measurement. This is your DPI.
How to improve mouse performance
For better results, you need to improve your mouse performance. Please see the below process to improve the performance of your mouse –
Change Mouse Sensitivity Settings
You will find a lot of options provided in the games that allow users to make changes in the mouse settings. The users can find the mouse settings in the controller’s menu in the game. By making changes in various settings like sensitivity and control, the user can alter mouse sensitivity settings.
Update the mouse driver
This is important to keep your mouse driver updated to make your performance better. You always know a missing or outdated driver can harm your mouse performance.
There are two ways to update your mouse drivers: manually and automatically.
Manually – You can manually update your mouse driver by searching the manufacturer’s websites. Downloading the right mouse driver and install it on your computer. This requires time and computer skills.
Automatically – You can find the mouse driver automatically. Go to the manage drivers and search automatically to find the right drivers for the mouse.
How to change mouse dpi conclusion
In this review, we talked about the DPI or sensitivity of the mouse and how you can change your mouse DPI differently. This will be very useful for all types of users. We discussed how to improve your mouse performance to change or adjust the DPI or Sensitivity.